![]() |
| Social Smiles from Miss A! |
...today my beautiful baby girl is TWO MONTHS OLD.
I cannot believe it has been 2 months already! I still haven’t organized the girls room closet, blogged much about her or our family experiences over the last 8 weeks, or typed up her birth story! I haven’t kept my room/house/bathrooms/anything spit spot, finished that one book, kept her onesies folded in her drawer, or been present for every single family moment.
I haven’t gotten back in touch with that one friend (or several), I haven’t ran errands to get everything on the “to get” list, or remembered friends/families birthdays to send a shout out. I haven’t showered every day, worn more than pjs/yoga pants, or shaved my legs more than 3 or 4 times. I haven’t gotten my hair trimmed, (starting to get difficult to see through my bangs…), or filled out that paperwork that is due, or paid the hospital bills. I haven’t replied to those emails yet, or contacted my friend who just had a baby, or put away that pile of stuff on my desk.
BUT as I scan the memory files in my foggy Mommy brain...I have done so much, truly.
To my Miss A--I have spent late night/morning hours snuggling you as my body nourishes yours. I have watched your eyes go from sleepy to slanty to rolling up and all around to snoozy happy smiles and finally to sweetest slumber. I have gazed into your blue eyes and imagined the things your eyes will see, the excitement in life you will feel, the ways you will let your light shine, as you becomes who you are meant to be.
As we have spent countless hours lounging on the couch (before/after feedings, comfort cuddling, and middle of the day downtime), I daydream about what it will be like to walk with you, hand in hand, and to talk with you about the feelings in your heart and thoughts in your mind. I have sang to you over and over (as I did during pregnancy and in the NICU) “you are my sunshine” and how grateful I am that you are in OUR family. I also whisper to her with all earnestness and tears forming in my eyes: “I prayed so hard for you, sweet girl.” I rub the top of her fuzzy-haired head and sing “I Am A Child of God” in Portuguese as we sway to the rhythm of calming baby sleep.
I have learned how to wrap you on to babywear around the house and to get (a few) things done, while keeping you happy and close (and I might have dropped a few crumbs on ya, sorry). I have watched your eyelashes slowly drop to the softest skin, and kissed cheeks (and toes, and neck, and forehead) a million times. I have changed diapers, cleaned poo, dried up slobber, wiped up spit up, and given sudsy vanilla baths. I have bounced you on my lap, I have tapped your back to the rhythm of the chaos around me, and I have swaddled you with blankets. I have held in your pacifier (you like it...well, sometimes), snuggled in my bed, and taken you outside for your first experiences in the outdoor warmth of summer.
I have sang your name in many, varied tunes and giggled with your gurgles. I have copied your littlest sighing sounds and massaged your tiny feet and wiggly little toes. I have snapped photos every Wednesday, marking your next week older status (and posted frivolously on social media for all of our family and friends to adore), and I have snapped pictures on the days between. I have heard your grunty grunts and scooped you into my arms to watch you wake up...and now you even smile at me when you see me and hear my voice!
So, no...I haven’t kept up with the laundry daily or kept all the crumbs swept or kept up with my endless To Do list. I have, however, experienced 8 of the most beautiful and enriching months of my entire life--spending it in the messy, wonderful, exhausting, and magical world of newbornland, with you. Miss Amelia Mae.
{And this is how we fly in the fourth trimester}


1 comment:
Perfection. You're doing brilliantly. More than brilliantly. You are one spectacular momma and you're kids are so lucky to have you!
Post a Comment