12.11.2010

Toot Sweets

I haven't done much sweet-making since we moved here, I mostly blame my lack of counter space, but I suppose the fact that all of my cake decorating tools are in the garage (lack of pantry space!) makes a difference as well.

Oh. And that whole baby thing too.
:)

However, as previously posted, I have discovered the fun of making homemade marshmallows. This pepperminty recipe.
I decided to make some for the ladies I visit from Church--
stuffing the delicious puffs o' sugar into a jar with peppermint sticks & hot chocolate mix.
Scrumptious!


The only problem was that in the glass jar, the marshmallows started to condensate and lose some of their fluffy perfection. I made sure my friends knew of this, and encouraged them to eat the sweet treats as soon as possible. I believe they took me up on the challenge.

The way to correct this would be to boil the water-sugar mixture longer. And now you know.

Also on my "you should know this if you're going to make these" list:

1-use a 9x11 pan instead of a square pan--it's almost too much for the square one, and perfect for the longer one

2-make sure to use a pan with a handle for the gelatin heating over the simmering pot (this ma...y seem obvious, but this was what I learned the first time I made them w/my friend)

3-MINT EXTRACT IS NOT THE SAME AS PEPPERMINT EXTRACT. be ye forewarned.

4-the time the sugar mixture is boiling is critical to its speed of firming up at the end

5-for a more overall color effect, drop the food color dots the bowl at the end of the final mixing--some will end up pink, but the swirling effect will be more dramatic overall

6-easiest to cut with a blade that has some cooking spray on it & corn starch, also kitchen shears are easier than a knife, and a PIZZA CUTTER is easier than kitchen shears. Go with the cutter.

7-roll the cut up marshmallow bits in confectioner's sugar to prevent them from being all stickity-sticky

8-if you have an electric mixer and plan your timing you can do this alone, otherwise it might be easier to have someone else on your team :)

~

Side Note: Packaging these reminded me of the scene in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang where they try to sell the pepperminty treat "Toot Sweets". For a blast* from the past, click HERE.


*What? You didn't watch this movie as a kid?? If that is the truth, then truly, you need to watch this classic over the holidays!

2 comments:

Shirley Morris said...

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang is one of my favorites. We watched it over and over again growing up. My uncle also called me Surely Scruptious instead of Truly. :)

I'll have to try making these when I work up my courage. You go girl!

Amy and the boys said...

I wanted to try that recipe but now I'm just too nervous. :D