3.01.2010

CTR Cake

My friend asked me (ahem, hired me) to do a cake for her son's birthday weekend. He turned 8 so he was baptized & they had a gathering of friends and family in their home afterwards to celebrate such a special day.

I was trying to think of something cool to do with the cake & then it hit me--CTR!

The CTR shield is a classic symbol in the Mormon faith--I found this wikipedia article informative for those of you who are curious. It stands for "Choose The Right" and is kind of like the WWJD in that many in the LDS faith wear rings/jewelry, etc with the emblem to remind them to always CHOOSE the right.

It is particularly popular with the youth; children receive a CTR ring at Church when they enter the CTR class (ages 4-7).

I was excited to try something new, and saw several examples of CTR cakes online (just google CTR cake, there were 3 main examples at which I looked for ideas).

I ended up doing a two layer (strawberry & vanilla) oval-esque (the cake pan is actually more of a cloud-curvy shape) shaped cake. I frosted the cake with buttercream (also buttercream in between the 2 layers) frosting. I made a batch of marshmallow fondant for the CTR emblem & polka dot accents. (I wrote "Monty" by piping out buttercream frosting)

It was my first time making marshallow fondant--it was both EASY (kitchenaid!) and HARD (the adding color kneading). Trevor was a HUGE help. It was such a fun project, I was so glad it turned out well!


7 comments:

SNSsoup said...

I wish I had MAD cake/baking skills, but alas, I don't. I hope you watch the cake competitions on food network and TLC and Cake Boss; if you don't, you better start. You would LOVE the shows!!! Spencer and I watch them together every week. I'd love to get your recipe for marshmallow fondant, I've been so tempted to try decorating cupcakes with it. Good work Shara!

Sharalea said...

Well I don't particularly like THE BAKING part, but the decorating part is so much fun!! We only have basic cable...I should check online to see if we can watch episodes there...I've seen a few of those shows at my Mom's house--Absolutely AMAZING!

Ok-MM fondant:

2 lbs powdered sugar
1 lb small marshmallows
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp butter
2 tbsp water
solid vegetable shortening

Start by coating your mixing bowl well with vegetable shortening. Melt the small marshmallows and butter in the microwave. Add vanilla and water and begin mixing using dough hooks. Add powdered sugar to mixture in 2-4 separate additions and mix well. When mixed well, remove from mixing bowl and knead by hand until desired consistency is reached.
___________________________________________________
**Then I'm sure you know to add coloring you knead the color into the fondant--use gloves to protect your hands from also being dyed!
**Kneading the color in was the hardest part, Trevor had to do it for me!
**I had large marshmallows & pulled them into smaller pieces: worked fine.

Happy creating!! :)

Linda said...

NO! most of us know NOTHING about making Marshmallow Fondant. Hello!?
I had never even HEARD of it! ( till your class...fondant was just one of the big mysteries of life! )

Linda said...

Other than it was cool looking and was said to NOT taste good!

Ruth said...

so cute!

paynejandj said...

Oh I wish I could hire you to do Luke's cake next month. He wants a Lightening McQueen cake. I wonder how much red dye that will take.

Does marshmallow fondant taste better than the other stuff?

Sharalea said...

Joy: I'd LOVE to do Luke's cake for him!! Sounds like a fun challenge. You can probably find lots of examples online which will be helpful--yes lots of red. The only 'lots of red' cake I've done so far was a firetruck & I ended up buying the red instead of making it (which I was so glad I did! red takes FOREVER to make!!)

YES the marshmallow fondant tastes lots better than the "regular" stuff. It's not amazingly delicious (like buttercream frosting) but most people like it and eat it (as opposed to taking it off the cake like with the other stuff). It's fun to make, you should try a batch & see what you think.

A few other fondant rules:
Don't put it in the fridge (it has a tendency to 'bleed' out color and also will sweat if it's cold then warmed up to room temp), keep it in an air tight container in between making & using otherwise it becomes VERY hard.

Have fun!!
:)