There aren't many places that take you back in time the way that Concord, Massachusetts does. It is one of my very favorite areas of Greater Boston. Concord is a traveler's dream (a traveler like me, that is) : it is rich with literary heritage, national history, and old world charm.
We made some touristy stops the morning before we flew home (as soon as the sun was out after several very wet & cold days!).
First we stopped at Louisa May Alcott's house--aka Orchard House
We did not take the tour, for interest of time (and money. $9 per adult.), but we walked around the house, enjoyed the quaint little shop, and imagined all of the little women running around. It is fascinating to think of life in that time--the challenges and the simplicity--sometimes I think it would be so wonderful to live back then & then I wake up and I am grateful for things like running water!Our next quick stop was at the Minute Man National Historic Park, where we walked across the Old North Bridge , imagined the sound of 'the shot heard around the world', and enjoyed the crisp fall air. The park was at its fall foliage peak--gorgeous! Most of my "Boston in the Fall" photos are from this park.
I recited as much as I could remember from Paul Revere's Ride (didn't get very far, it was elementary school!)
Our last stop was a brisk walk around Concord's downtown. The little shops and curvy roads are beyond picturesque (and no picture can really capture their cuteness!). We walked along the brick sidewalks & took a quick kid break at The Toy Shop. I snapped pictures all along the way, here's the collage to prove it:


4 comments:
One of the places we never went, but wished we could have gone while we were back east, was Corcord/Boston/Massachusetts in general. It was eight hours and with three kids we just weren't sure that it would work. Some day, though. Some day.
Shara, my dearest wife, it looks like you had a great time on your mini-vacation. I wish I could have been there with you...maybe next time!!!
my most favorite place on earth!!!
P.S. I toured the Alcott house about 2 years ago. my friend and I left, because we were bored- and we are history nerd types too! Paid tours are usually lame, that's what we've decided.
Post a Comment