I used to do monthly updates on all the children, but haven't in AGES.
I figure I probably won't do them again for awhile, I might as well get a snapshot of who these kids are, as we sit here on the cusp of change before baby #4 arrives!
Introducing...
6 1/2 year old
J
I am in awe of this kid. As the oldest, he does everything first, teaches me first, and I make all my first mistakes with him. Somehow, he is surviving those mistakes quite nicely...he is one amazing boy!
I took this photo of him earlier today:
There are also MANY ways to get involved and/or memberships in the Twin Cities that we will take advantage of more next year. Science Museum, Childrens Museum, Zoo, Historical Society, etc.
Until then, our local group holds us steady & we've had such a great time! J really loves these two...
J enjoys learning about all things space, animal kingdom, & dinosaurs. He reads to us as a family, to his siblings, and in his personal reading time--like a champ. I was a guide in his learning how to read, but really, it came very VERY naturally to him.
His favorite books right now are--anything by Dr. Seuss & The Magic Treehouse series. He has a "reading log" that he keeps up with all the books he reads (though sometimes we forget to log them).
I've read a lot about kids' need to move & brain development (fascinating!)--this kid MOVES. He is constantly running, jumping, flying, spinning, swinging,
A few of J's 6 1/2 year old favorites:
-pizza
-apples
-cream puffs (was introduced to these at a recent wedding reception & has been gaga over them ever since...he was thrilled when I bought some for my recent Mother's Blessing so he could have some again!)
(He actually eats most things, *but* is my pickiest eater, avoiding regulars on our plates like tomatoes, eggs, feta cheese, & olives)
-stuffed animal Wawee (still the #1 ferret & most loved stuffed animal around here)
-his animal kingdom book
-1st grade notebook for keeping notes, drawings, spelling practice, menu lists, and animal names
-legos!!
-his ukulele (online lessons)
-riding bikes (especially when Dad is home & comes with us!)
-being a helper for Mom when the other kids are asleep (ahem...a way to avoid going to bed but with such great help, Mom gives in, especially when Dad is out of town!)
-working independently with his tools on projects (real tools. real inventions. real fun. real learning.)...and of course, helping Dad with any/all projects
-Wild Krats (PBS kids show)
-Master Chef Junior (and then being my "little chef" for dinner time!)
![]() |
| 04.23.15 |
Can you believe those bright eyes?
Those perfect freckles?
The mix of baby + adult teeth?
How grown up he is looking? Gah. I can't stand it. And I love it. And it's WILD!
J has a very obedient and driven spirit which is so inspiring to me. He loves to read the scriptures and has found ways to feel "good feelings in the heart" by doing things for others, leaving love notes, and being a peacemaker.
He likes things in order and loves to learn how to do things on his own. Many mornings, he will get up and get breakfast ready for everyone on his own (oatmeal), which is such a gift! He is reliable, trustworthy, and strong.
He likes to know how things work and his questions are the basis for many of our daily learning experiences.
We have enjoyed a very play-based, child-directed learning focus for both kindergarten and first grade homeschool. It has been amazing to learn together, delve into topics as a family, and share in the learning experiences with the younger siblings.
We have had a casual homeschool co-op with some friends in our ward that also homeschooled this year.
One mother taught geography/culture, another mother taught Spanish/music, and I mostly did science/space for my hosting days. It was flexible as we needed but provided some great time for the three kids together to learn in a group and also a fun opportunity for us as Moms to trade off some time. One of our friends will be going to public school next year, so I'm not sure how the co-op will morph but I would love to do something similar next fall, for sure.
| These three are best buds: Miss C, J, & Mr P |
Until then, our local group holds us steady & we've had such a great time! J really loves these two...
| We had a "homeschool co-op graduation" picnic/play celebration last week |
J enjoys learning about all things space, animal kingdom, & dinosaurs. He reads to us as a family, to his siblings, and in his personal reading time--like a champ. I was a guide in his learning how to read, but really, it came very VERY naturally to him.
His favorite books right now are--anything by Dr. Seuss & The Magic Treehouse series. He has a "reading log" that he keeps up with all the books he reads (though sometimes we forget to log them).
| J loves to read Dr. Seuss |
J loves to be outside!
In the winter, if it's above the 20's, he is ready to go outside. In the springtime we have chilly days too (like yesterday--in the 30's), but he and Mr N brave the wind together and play hard.
| This is his favorite beanie to wear on chilly days |
J loves to move!
I've read a lot about kids' need to move & brain development (fascinating!)--this kid MOVES. He is constantly running, jumping, flying, spinning, swinging,
The backyard is kind of a wonderland...the corner "digging pit", the sand table, the water tables, the bikes, the chalkboard, the swing set--it morphs into whatever place their imagination takes them and they spend HOURS outside TOGETHER.
I LOVE watching/hearing them play, explore, and learn through their outside adventures, and I'm so grateful for his reliable big-brotherhood with his siblings when they are all outside together!
A few of J's 6 1/2 year old favorites:
-pizza
-apples
-cream puffs (was introduced to these at a recent wedding reception & has been gaga over them ever since...he was thrilled when I bought some for my recent Mother's Blessing so he could have some again!)
(He actually eats most things, *but* is my pickiest eater, avoiding regulars on our plates like tomatoes, eggs, feta cheese, & olives)
-stuffed animal Wawee (still the #1 ferret & most loved stuffed animal around here)
-his animal kingdom book
-1st grade notebook for keeping notes, drawings, spelling practice, menu lists, and animal names
-legos!!
-his ukulele (online lessons)
-riding bikes (especially when Dad is home & comes with us!)
-being a helper for Mom when the other kids are asleep (ahem...a way to avoid going to bed but with such great help, Mom gives in, especially when Dad is out of town!)
-working independently with his tools on projects (real tools. real inventions. real fun. real learning.)...and of course, helping Dad with any/all projects
-Wild Krats (PBS kids show)
-Master Chef Junior (and then being my "little chef" for dinner time!)
J is one of my favorite people in the whole world. Being his mother is such a gift, and learning with him is a treasure. We are a happier family because of his influence, thoughtfulness, and good-natured attitude. We love our J!

No comments:
Post a Comment