N started off with a cold on Thursday morning
coupled with teething, he's been more clingy and very slobbery.By that night he was sounding more raspy and after his nap on Friday night, he had a low grade fever. With tylenol his fever didn't go down and around 11pm we heard coughing sounds like seals--or dolphins barking. I went in to check on him and he wasn't coughing...he was making that sound while BREATHING!
His inhaled breaths sounded like a seal's bark and he was warm with fever. We googled it to find information on CROUP. We'd never experienced croup before and it was scary, the awful sounds he was making when he was breathing and how pitiful he looked. We bundled him up, said a prayer (and Trevor gave him a blessing) and I rushed him down to the ER (which, shockingly, our city doesn't HAVE a hospital or ER so we have to go to the next city over...not far, just about 10 miles but still, I am so surprised we don't have one here!).
By the time we got there, he sounded much better. No more seal barking breaths. I prayed and felt good about bringing him home for the night. I had my alarm set to wake me up early to call the pediatrician and get an appointment the next morning (Saturday). He woke up with the croup breathing again, so I bundled him up and took him in.
The Dr. said our ER story was a classic "croup story", since the colder air makes the deep barking sound temporarily go away. She said his lungs sounded ok and that the inflammation would go down with steroids and he would be over the croup in a few more days. The steroids have been GREAT for the croup sounding breathing/coughing...now to fight off the awful cold.
Today is Monday and he is still raspy voiced, snotty, glassy-eyed, and pitiful looking. He isn't fever-ish anymore (thankfully), he is eating and playing...so we're on the upswing. If he is still feeling bad tomorrow I will take him in again to check his ear (the Dr. said his left ear was pink and might get worse).
I'm thankful that he is doing better and hope I never hear that croup breathing AGAIN.
2 comments:
Poor guy! Gibson & Georgia get croup ALL THE TIME! It's kind of our disease of choice around here. It's so hard! I'm glad he's feeling better :)
-Brittney
Wow - just caught up on your blog...you've been busy.
Croup is a nasty, scary, terrible thing that we experienced way too much...and I hope that it doesn't visit you again....but at least now you know what to expect. Don't get me wrong, I like barking seals...but only on the bays of the Pacific Ocean!!!
Post a Comment