...that we just
SHOULDN'T.
...
For N it was diaper rash cream:
(last week)
 |
| N sports Valentine face paint/N eats diaper rash cream Feb. 2012 |
He realized it wasn't as creamy-delicious as he was expecting it to be
(he thought it was frosting, perhaps?).
...
For me...it's too many of these:
 |
| Valentine Sugar Cookies...yummmmmmm |
They are delicious
but they're just going to my hips...
(and butter is on that NO DAIRY list, so...you know, I really shouldn't)
...
For Miss N, it's her fingers:
(I don't really mind, but she didn't want to be left out of the blog post)
 |
| Miss N 02.21.2012 |
...
And for J...
it was a tiny glass lightbulb
(today)
 |
Jackson eats a lightbulb. 02.21.2012
I've consulted with our pediatrician & poison control (a first for me!) and with another day or two of monitoring, I am hopeful we'll make it through this adventure relatively unharmed. He does have a few tiny cuts in his mouth, but no other complaints.
THE STORY:
After Christmas we decided to leave a few strands of white Christmas lights up. We wrapped them around our upstairs living room banister and they have offered a very soothing/relaxing glow to our evenings and nights. I have especially enjoyed them during my late nights with Miss N over these first months. They are almost always plugged in, as they were today when this happened:
I was downstairs & he said to me (from upstairs)
"Mama, I broke one of the Christmas lightbulbs..."
I said "You did? Oh man! How did you do it?"
I came up the stairs to see him crunching
something between his teeth. In between the chomps he said
"I broke it with my teeth."
I wouldn't have believed him if I didn't hear the shards of glass crunching in his mouth & take some out with my fingers (and get cut myself!).
Thankfully: 1) he told me what happened immediately, 2) he didn't get cut too badly, 3) N was not in the room to witness and copy, and 4) Miss N was sleeping soundly so I could deal with it all with a relatively calm crew
After some searching, I found the tip of the light bulb on the floor and the leftover base still in the strand (which means he bit the thing OFF of the strand...while it was lit!),
so he ingested about 1/3 of the little bulb.
After my semi-frantic phone calls
and realizing we didn't have to
make a mad dash to the ER, I asked:
"So, what were you thinking when you did that?"
He replied: "I was thinking:
'I'm going to eat that light.'"
...
So there you go.
The magical mind of a 3 year old.
...
Don't ever tell me that being a stay-at-home Mom
doesn't offer thrill & excitement. |
3 comments:
Oh My! What an adventure. I have had my share of ER visits due to injury...mostly with J.....but I think I can say I have never had to call poison control....though I could be blocking that incident from my memory - ha!
Our dog ingested raw pizza dough once. Lauren was house-sitting while we were on vacation and she did have to call an after hours vet (it was a Saturday night). Does that count????
Parenting is definitely a wild adventure - that's fer sure!
(PS - I can't see the pics in the "They Are" post...it's all boxes with red x's)
Glad it wasn't too serious. I love J's answer, such a 3-year-old thing to say!
Haha, oh man, what a story! I would have been freaking out. LOVE his reasoning. :)
Post a Comment