11.24.2010

Bow Ties

So remember THIS POST where J struts his stuff in the fantastic bow tie made by my sis-in-law, Jen?

I shared the link on that post, and I'll share it again...HERE IS THE TUTORIAL for these bow ties. My sis-in-law assured me I could do them (I'm still figuring out my sewing groove, gimme a break!), and after one trip to Joanne's, one frustrating afternoon, and one awesome in-home sewing tutorial...

...

...

...

...

drumroll, please...

...

...

...

...

ZE BOW TIE

(Humor me and say it in your mind with a crisp, French accent. There, doesn't that make it even MORE fun?)

I used the exact patter on the tutorial. Tell me what you think--is it too big for J?

I realized AFTER I finished, that it is quite a bit bigger than the one my sis-in-law made...so I made a smaller size bow for Baby N. But really, I need to know. Is it too big for J?



Annnnd here's Baby N modeling the original bow tie:

...and modeling the (smaller) one that I made. I believe she used a more flexible inside fluff than I did, but this will get floppier over time, I think.


Well...whatdya think?

I have to say, this was a very fulfilling project! I was able to get one done in the morning, and one finished in the evening. Not too shabby. I had a great time learning more about my machine and felt quite accomplished to have actually MADE SOMETHING that can be worn.

I should mention that I could not have done it without my personal sewing tutor, Heather F, who carved out some time in her busy schedule to come over and help me figure out what I didn't already know. Which was a lot.


I feel like I am opening a door into an entirely new world of crafting...
...what should I make next??

5 comments:

It's Me - Jen E! said...

They are absolutely adorable, Shara - awesome job! Could I place an order for my boys for Christmas???? :)

BonnieG said...

Shara, they are so cute. You did a great job and you deserve a pat on the back. I think Jackson's bow tie is the right size. Both of your boys look cute!

Linda said...

when the boys were little sometimes it seemed they had bow ties that were just threaded on a piece of elastic. or something simple like that. Maybe there was a hook? I guess they were small small small. But then there was no tying to do. And the bow was merely a rectangle, cinched by another little rectangle piece, and sewed together. Fake, I suppose, but gave the impression of a bowtie.

Amy and the boys said...

they are so cute. id like three- in pin stripes please. hehe

Jolie said...

I love the ties! So crafty of you to make your own. They turned out perfect.