12.06.2009

Christmas in Portugal

The theme of our church Christmas party was "Christmas Around The World." I volunteered to do a booth to represent Portugal.

We bought this nativity set when Trevor & I visited for Christmas in 2007.
Notice anything different about this nativity scene?
The Portuguese nativity tradition is to add baby Jesus to the manger AFTER midnight on Christmas Eve (typically, after the family gets home from midnight mass)...that is after all, when he 'arrives', right? I love this tradition and have added it to my family traditions.

I had lots of fun facts about Portugal to share and beautiful Christmas traditions to tell people who came to my booth...not to mention delicious breads, olives, and cream puffs (close to the bolos/pastries). I decided NOT to spend all day cooking more authentic dishes since the event was for such a large group...
J wasn't in the best mood (as you can tell--he has his pacifier in his mouth), so he spent most of the night with Dad so I could visit and manage the booth.
It was wonderful to get out all of my Portuguese decorations, books, items, photos, and maps to share the best country in the world with everyone. There were 12 other countries represented with lots of amazing displays and food, it was really an amazing event!

It is a beautiful image to think of all of the Christians around the world, celebrating this special time of year together...in our own unique and special ways...and all of it to glorify the One who gives us light & hope.

Feliz Natal!
Merry Christmas

6 comments:

Ruth said...

Wow, you are amazing

SNSsoup said...

Great booth Shara! It kinda makes me wish I were there to visit it and I can't believe how many authentic things you brought back home from Portugal! Looking at your things, I wish I had a few; I just brought home coffee table picture books of Porto; they're nice, but they're not fancy embrodiered things stuff like your table ware stuff and embarrassingly enough I never don't even own a flag of Portugal! What kind of missionary was I? Where was my pride for the country I served! Every missionary has to have a flag of the country they served in and yet I failed to get one for myself... anyhow, love the booth and all the work you put into it! Christmas in Portugal is beautiful isn't it?! It's this time of year that makes me want to go there more than ever; especially to Braga!

austinamasandra said...

Everything looked soooo beautiful. you have so many talents!!!! I'm glad that you truly love Portugal and portuguese people enough to take your hubby back and still keep up with the language. :) Thanks for beeing sooo wonderful!

LMS said...

Feliz Natal!
Bringin' the global flava'. I love it.

LMS said...

P.S.- you always accessorize so well. you're always so beautiful!!

Jolie said...

If there was a way to swing being a stay-at-home mom with being the US Ambassador of Portugal, you should totally do it. You're a natural! The booth, WOW. Awesome. And I really really like the nativity. Now, I remember hearing about their tradition of adding baby Jesus at midnight on Christmas but I don't think I ever saw nativity scenes in people's homes. Did you see many?