On Labor Day, we took a short jaunt 'UP NORTH' (that's what people around here say & I get a kick out of it everytime because I'm like "we already ARE 'up north', people!"-HA.) to Minocqua. Several of our friends told us it was a fun place to go for a day trip, and they were right!
Minocqua (Min-ah-kwa) is a darling little place surrounded by lakes, and has been recently named one of the top "Favorite Family Getaways" in Midwest Living Magazine.
So you can see why we were drawn to the place--who wouldn't want to check it out?
These pictures are completely out of order...but we're going to just go with it.
Our last stop of the day was at Torpy Beach--it was J's first time to walk on sand at a beach, I'll let the photo do the explaining:
He got used to it (sort of), and we enjoyed a leisurely family walk along the beach, letting the little ripply waves delight our sandy toes. Trevor & I got a kick out of J's facial expressions. He is really taking in every new experience with wonder and interest...not to mention his own opinion! We walked in the grass to clean off our feet & then played on the playground at the park at the beach. Trevor & I couldn't resist the teeter-totters*--you don't see those on playgrounds anymore!
The weather was perfect--sunny with nice breezes from the water. We were jealous of everyone out on their boats!
Minocqua is a darling little place...we ate lunch at a local favorite and then walked around town--very small, you can do it all in one day. There was a fudge shop that was delightful (although we're going to have to go back to try some of the fudge!) to walk through and lots of fun little craft and specialty stores. We did end our walking tour with some ice cream at The Island Ice Cream Shoppe.
We walked along .2 miles of the Bearskin State Trail (which is, I think, 18.2 miles total)...we just wanted to walk across the bridge and enjoy some of the island before heading back 'into town'. It was gorgeous! The water was calm and the trees were swaying...J was interested in the leaves that are starting to turn...fall is *just* around the corner!
Our first stop in Minocqua was Paul Bunyan's Cook Shanty where we enjoyed a "lumberjack style" breakfast. It was delicious...and all-you-can-eat. So we did. We ate all we could & enjoyed it!
Notice J had an appetizer of BUTTER (bottom left photo) as we were waiting for our breakfast feast.
We walked along .2 miles of the Bearskin State Trail (which is, I think, 18.2 miles total)...we just wanted to walk across the bridge and enjoy some of the island before heading back 'into town'. It was gorgeous! The water was calm and the trees were swaying...J was interested in the leaves that are starting to turn...fall is *just* around the corner!
Our first stop in Minocqua was Paul Bunyan's Cook Shanty where we enjoyed a "lumberjack style" breakfast. It was delicious...and all-you-can-eat. So we did. We ate all we could & enjoyed it!
Notice J had an appetizer of BUTTER (bottom left photo) as we were waiting for our breakfast feast.It was the perfect little jaunt UP NORTH for Labor Day. Special thanks to our friends who gave us the idea!
*Just curious: do you say "teeter-totter" or "see-saw"? I think I say both.
9 comments:
see-saw. It is what I grew up saying. Looks like a fun place. ARGH! there are so many places to go see!
Teeter-totter... bread and water, wash your face with dirty water. Yup, I say teeter-totter. It is hard to find those around much anymore so I was really excited to find one here at a park not too far from us.
Joy
Teeter-totter :) Much more fun to say!
I totally think I've been to the Paul Bunyon place before! Long time ago, but it seems familiar. Wisconsin is truly a fun state in a lot of ways.
Oh and it's seesaw for me.
i say them both.. but, probably seesaw more often. i love the pic of J eating butter! haha.
hello! Of course I say TEETER-totter. lol
And you guys should totally start your own reality show where you visit small towns in America to showcase the highlights. You already do such a great job of that. Great pics.
Jackson is getting cuter by the day.
What a fun day! That is funny about baby J and the sand. It is an interesting feel if you have never felt it before. By the way I sat teeter-totter.
It was great to talk to you.
Ice cream sounds like just the ticket for a Labor Day treat! I like the looks of the nature up your direction. Makes me want to enjoy some outdoorsmanship!
So with the all you can eat... how many sticks of butter could Jackson eat before getting a sick stomach?
ps. To me, when you ride the see-saw, you are supposed to chant "teeter-totter-teeter-totter-teeter-totter" as you take your turn on the ups and downs. Perhaps to me, "teeter-totter" is more of an onomatopoetic description for the sound of the squealing joints as you play. So maybe you teeter-totter (v.) on the see-saw (n.)... could it be?
I am J-E-A-L-O-U-S of that lumber jack breakfast. And I'm with Baby J all the way.. butter... it's what's for breakfast.
Post a Comment